Deneb's profile in Let Us Cling Together (PSP)
Sacred Xytegenian Empire
Xenobian Mages Regiment
- "I think I’m falling in love with you..."
- — Deneb Rove
Deneb Rove is a recurring character in the series. She's the governor of Deneb's Garden in Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, and runs a secret item shop in both Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (all versions). She also runs the tutorial section in Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber.
Young, beautiful and brilliant, but cold-blooded, Deneb is a witch who is dedicated to her research. She's actually a spirit who inhabits other girls' bodies, though she fiercely denies this.
During the war between the Empire and the Former Xenobian Kingdom, Deneb sided with the Empire in exchange for access to their books of magic which she needed for her research. Deneb governed over the people of the area known as The Garden from Valparin Castle. The experiments she performed were as dark and mysterious as her past and many villagers, all being young men, went missing. When the young men stopped disappearing, villagers started to find entire fields of crops dug up. Whispers started to circulate regarding the nature of her experiments and strange creatures with pumpkins for heads started appearing in the mountains.
Forgive Me, Please!Edit
When the rebels defeated her army, Deneb flirted with Destin but acknowledged their romance could not be pursued under the current conditions. Deneb was defeated shortly after, and Destin was left with a difficult choice: he could either let her live and suffer the criticism of the people of the region, or end her life himself, which would undoubtedly darken his soul. He came to the conclusion that he should spare her life. This led to some of the people in The Garden to question whether Destin let her live because of her beauty.
A New SpellEdit
Deneb was visited again by Destin and she asked of him a favor: to bring her a Golden Bough from the forests of Diaspola to complete her research on a spell. As a down payment for getting the bough for her, she gave Destin a Black Pearl. When Destin returned, she was given the Golden Bough and in return handed over the Glass Pumpkin, an item that allowed any witch to recruit pumpkinheads. Deneb later joined the rebellion and at the end of the war was placed in the Xenobian Mages Regiment.
On the outside this can be a letdown given how tasking it is to recruit her, but Deneb can access two unique classes: Shaman and Wicce. Her trained skills and base stats complement nicely if trained as a Shaman focusing on Fire magic (particularly if the player missed Cerya).
Her real highlight though, is the Wicce class. To get it the player has to sell her 30 Glass Pumpkins before buying all her elemental orbs. This, along with her recruitment quest, is very taxing, though it pays off: As a Wicce, Deneb can be considered the best spellcasting attacker in the game, with excellent stats, unique skills that increase her magic damage, great movepool and attacks that help her amass TP easier than other mages.
Overall, Deneb is a designated magic attacker that overshadows all mage generics and most unique mage characters in the game.
See the classes' pages for specifics.
Unlike other games, here Deneb isn't recruited directly, but rather another unit has to be transformed into Deneb. To recruit:
- Go to any shop and hire a generic female Soldier. Can be of any element in the English version, but in the Japanese version she must be of the Fire element. Also, her alignment must be either Neutral or Chaotic, Lawful units cannot turn into Deneb.
- Give her the name "Deneb". Be careful that the name is capitalized properly and not misspelled.
- Earn the Vixen's Whisper emblem to unlock the Witch class.
- Change her class to Witch. She will automatically transform into Deneb.
Once Deneb has been recruited, the player will be able to enter her secret shop in Scabellum.
Deneb can be found on the Deneb's Garden stage. To recruit:
- Defeat the stage boss Deneb.
- Forgive Deneb.
- Revisit Valparine (SNES) / Valparin (PSX).
- Accept the fetch quest to retrieve a Golden Bough for Deneb. The Golden Bough can be bought in the stage Diaspola for 50,000 Goth
- Bring a Golden Bough to Deneb with the Reputation Meter at 1/3 or lower.
- Answer Deneb's question with a "Yes."
Deneb can be found during Chapter 4 at any time. To recruit:
- Open the Warren Report.
- Read Miscellanous topic "Deneb's Store", now her store is accessible anytime.
- Since her shop wanders towns every day, try to wait (move back and forth between towns) until she reaches the one you're in (tip: favorite places are Amorika Castle, and Griate City).
- Purchase 99+ items (tip: you can buy her cheapest item, quality has no effect for this).
- Choose the new option "Join" and you will have her, though you will lose her Store.
- Optional Side Quest: Sell her 10 Glass Pumpkins and recruit 10 Pumpkin Head before recruiting her.
Deneb becomes recruitable during Chapter 4, and is possibly the most time-consuming character to hire. To do so:
- Read the "Talk" topic "Deneb's Emporium". This will unlock Deneb's Shop.
- Unlock the village of Vasque by beginning the Palace of the Dead sidequest. Fight until you clear the battle there.
- Purchase 5 elemental orbs of each kind from her shop. You must aunction off dragons of each elemental type to buy the orbs.
- After this, she will talk to you. Answer her "No. Let's hear it" and she will join you party as a guest. Go to Vasque to confront the Wicce Punkin and her group of Pumpkinheads. Defeat Punkin while Deneb is alive and she will join you party, putting Punkin in charge of her shop.
Deneb will join as a Witch class unit. But taking adittional steps before opening up her sidequest allow Deneb to join as the unique class Wicce. See the page for more information.
- Deneb is the only character to appear in every single game in the series.
- Keeping with the Goetia demon theme naming in the series, "Rove" sounds similar to Ronove, a demon described as a harvester of souls and giver of good servants; these two qualities can describe Deneb and her Pumpkinheads as well.
- At the same time, Deneb (Alpha Cygni) is the brightest star of the Cygnus constellation, in keeping with the stellar theme naming along with Sirius, Albeleo, Castor, Porkus and Prochon.
- All her appearances give her an uniquely named variant of the Witch class.
- While starting as an evil witch, every subsequent appearance has given her a (relatively) kinder personality.
|Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis||Deneb Rhode|
|Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (SNES)||Deneb|
|Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (PSX)||Deneb|
|Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber||Deneb|
|Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSX)||Deneb Rhobe|
|Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)||Deneb Rove|